This new 9th edition of our guidebook for walking in western Crete has been carefully revised just a few months prior to publication, and all the maps have been redrawn using OpenStreetMap source material with GPS tracking.
The printed maps show waypoints, and free downloadable GPS tracks are available for all the walks. Colour coding on the Contents page enables you to see at a glance the grading of various hikes.
Mountains rearing straight up from the sea, deep wooded gorges, ravines and valleys — and yet more glorious mountains, standing proud and acting as a magnet to the eye and the imagination — that’s Western Crete, or real Crete, as some would say.
Its strong, dramatic scenery and colours create sweeping landscapes of harsh but beautiful countryside – countryside that has been the backdrop for heroic deeds, ancient civilisations and constant intrigue for thousands of years, and the home of obdurate, tough-spirited people – made so by their labours on the land and their experiences.
Getting to know Western Crete takes time; the number of people who explore beyond the obvious is slowly growing.
We hope we will lead you straight to the heart of the matter with this book, whether you are a first- or second-time visitor unsure about how best to get to know the island or, indeed, if you are someone who doesn’t need convincing but would like a reliable, thorough and different guide. We encourage you to explore to the full.
We won’t need to inspire you; one look at Western Crete will do that.
- 45 long and short walks, colour-coded for grade
- 1:50,000 topo maps with waypoints
- free downloadable GPS tracks
- E4 long-distance hiking route highlighted on all relevant maps
- satnav coordinates to walk starting points
- 8 car tours and fold-out touring maps of both Eastern and Western Crete – ideal for planning
- plans of Hania and Rethimnon
- strolls to idyllic picnic spots
- timetables for local transport
- online update service